When is the best time to visit Laos? I’ll tell you but, let me introduce a bit about this small landlocked country. Laos often gets overlooked in favor of its most renowned neighbors. However, visitors know that Laos is a gem of a country – one where adventure awaits in every nook & corner. It is a laidback country where you will be able to regain your perspective on life, and feel refreshed and rejuvenated! In order to do all of this, you need to know the best time to visit Laos. If you don’t know when the weather in Laos is ideal, you might not be able to enjoy everything that the country has to offer, especially when it comes to Luxury Asia tours. So, let me introduce to you when is the best time to visit Laos.
The Best Time to Visit Laos | Peak Season
Spring in Laos | November – March
This is definitely the best time to visit Laos. The monsoon comes to an end, and the dry conditions make the entire country accessible – including the more secluded areas in the north. The temperature is warm and comfortable, and the humidity drops as well. The weather might still be cold at night, especially if you enjoy a trip to the mountainous areas, or discover the river.
- Average Temperature: 59 – 91° F / 15 – 33° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 10 – 30 mm
- Season: Spring
- Highlights: This is when to visit Laos if you want to go to Luang Prabang, Vientiane, Luang Namtha, Phongsali, or Muang la, for the weather conditions are ideal. November to January is the best time to take a cruise along the Mekong River. If you’re looking for uniquely Laos experiences, you don’t have to look far either. The Luang Festival in Vientiane in November (where you can see a gathering of thousands of monks), or Boun Ma Kha Bu Saar Festival in February will give you a glimpse of the local religious activities. Also, it is able to take part in the Wat Phou Festival, where there are processions and boat races held across the country, in February!
Autumn in Laos | July – August
July to August is the best time to visit Laos, as the weather is pleasant, even though it will be wet and humid in certain parts. The emerald green landscape is a vista to behold, and you can enjoy it only during this season. The rivers and waterfalls are usually brimming with water around this time as well. It might be difficult for you to access the more remote parts of Laos due to the rain, though.
- Average Temperature: 73 – 90° F / 23 – 32° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 120 mm
- Season: Autumn
- Highlights: This is a high season for travelers from Europe and the Americas, especially students, so make sure that you book your accommodation in advance. The weather in Laos is definitely beautiful in Autumn even though there will be some rains. Head over to the Bolaven Plateau, or to Pakse to view the beautiful falls in the 4000 Islands. Vang Vieng also looks stunning during this season, as the lush green scenery makes everything look wonderful.
Low Season to Visit Laos
Summer in Laos | April – May
There are slight chances of rain during this season. This is not when to visit Laos if you cannot handle high temperatures and humidity, as the temperatures will start to soar. The river level will dip and the waterfalls also become rather sparse. But the low season will bring lower prices for accommodation and transportation that might be an allure for some!
- Average Temperature: 72 – 91° F / 22 – 33° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 40 – 70 mm
- Season: Summer
- Highlights: In terms of exploration, this might be a low season; however, there are still a lot of fun things for you to do. Join in on the countrywide New Year celebrations in April, when the Boun Pi Mai Festival is celebrated. You can also join in on the Boun Bang Fai, or the Rocket Festival in May and June, where they launch homemade fireworks across the country. There will be a number of activities in Vientiane and Luang Prabang as well, so you won’t get bored!
Monsoon Season in Laos | September – October
This is a high monsoon season across the country, as the rain continues to fall from the previous months, making it difficult to travel to remote areas. In October, the drier weather returns; however, the temperature starts dipping as well. This period is the low traveling season, so there will be little to no crowds, and you can enjoy discounted prices on travel and accommodation.
- Average Temperature: 72 – 88° F / 22 – 31° C (in Vientiane)
- Rainfall: 50 – 100 mm
- Season: Monsoon
- Highlights: September and October might be really wet and humid, especially in Luang Prabang and Vientiane, but if you are intent on traveling to Laos during this period, you should explore Vang Vieng and Muang La, as the monsoon looks great there. There are a number of festivals you can enjoy during this period as well. From September to October, you can traverse to Boun Khao Padabdin and Boun Ok Phansa, which are boat racing festivals on the Mekong River, commemorating the dead. The Naga Rocket festival is a unique festival in the Bolikhamxay Province, where you can see unexplained, multi-colored fireballs on the water’s surface!